Villages

Town hall and prison

Sortelha

Sortelha

They are in Largo do Pelourinho and were built in the 16th century, considering King Manuel’s coat of arms and the dating of the pillory. The upper of the two storeys was for the town council and the lower was the prison. The building is rectangular with two rooms on each floor. The unframed windows have straight lintels. The lower floor is built into the town wall. In 1855, when the municipality of Sortelha ceased to exist, the building was converted into a primary school. It is now used as the parish council building.