Duarte d’Armas e os seus “debuxos” Castelo Mendo
There are two walled areas: the old town, with an older foundation, surrounded by a 12th-century wall; and the new town, or Arrabalde de S. Pedro, protected by a wall built during the reign of King “D. Dinis”. The Old town preserves the Romanesque castle, with the door which separated it from the civilian houses, and the ruins of the Keep, which in “Duarte d’Armas” drawings, still had a roof, merlons and a cistern. The foundation of this castle dates back to the end of the 12th century, before the first charter (1229). In fact, “Castro Menendi” is the name that appears on the seal that authenticates the oldest document (1202) referring to Castelo Mendo, proof of its ancient municipal power.