The Historic Village obtained the Biosphere Destination Certification in 2018, an international system developed by the Institute of Responsible Tourism, through a set of norms/standards that establish specific, identifiable and measurable objectives. It is the first certification to respond to the 17 Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) of the United Nations, with the AHP Network constituting itself as the 1st Network at an international level to obtain this certification. Our performance with regard to Sustainability is monitored annually, namely by verifying compliance with the respective Action Plan, maintaining our status since then, as evidenced by the validity of the respective certificate. This is an international benchmark.
Biosphere Destination Referential
The Biosphere Destination Referential is divided into 3 broad areas, subdivided into 62 criteria, in accordance with the 17 Sustainable Development Goals (SDG).
Society and Culture
Environment and Climate Change
Governance and Economy
- No poverty 2. Zero hunger 3. Good health and well-being 4. Quality Education
- Gender equality 6. Clean water and sanitation 7. Affordable and clean energy
- Decent work and economic growth 9. Industry, innovation and infrastructure
- Reduced inequalities 11. Sustainable cities and communities
- Responsible consumption and production 13. Climate action 14. Life below water
- Life on land 16. Peace, justice and strong institutions
- Partnerships for the goals
RESPONSIBLE TOURIST MANIFESTO
Historical Villages of Portugal
Safe and Sustainable Destination
Responsible Tourist Manifesto
To travel is to KNOW other ways of living and being in the world. It is to UNDERSTAND that our planet is as finite as it is immense, that the human being is both so identical and so different. It is to RESPECT this difference and live it, make it ours and PRESERVE its existence as it is. It is to SHARE with those who are with us, with those who will soon depart and with those we meet along our path. Because traveling is just that: LIVING.
- Before travelling, I have taken the necessary precautions.
- I am aware of respiratory hygiene/cough etiquette, hand hygiene and social distancing.
- I pledge to respect the measures proposed by the establishments and public spaces I visit.
- I pledge to take all precautionary measures to protect the local communities of the Historical Villages of Portugal.
- When travelling to this destination, I become a local development agent. Therefore, I am committed to consuming local products and services.
- I want to learn about the community that welcomes me, share experiences and respect their values and traditions.
- I will responsibly consume and participate in the sustainable management of resources: natural, heritage and energy.
- I pledge to respect diversity and not encourage discriminatory activities.
- I will seek to reduce waste and generated waste, and commit to its correct disposal and separation.
- I hereby join the Responsible Tourist Manifesto of the Historical Villages of Portugal and I pledge to share it.