Bust of Canon Manuel Fernandes Nogueira
Manuel Fernandes Nogueira was born in Loriga in 1861. He was ordained a priest in 1884 and arrived in Piódão in 1885. In 1886, he founded a school that prepared students for entry into the Seminary. More than 200 boys passed through the school before it was torn down during the work to improve the square in 1906. Many students continued on to complete higher education courses and about 30 were ordained priests. He died in 1944.