When King Manuel gave Castelo Rodrigo its charter, it consolidated its municipal power and its legal and administrative independence. As a witness to these golden times, the pillory rises up on top of five steps that constitute its throne. The two bottom ones are rectangular, the next two are octagonal and the last one serves as a platform for the eight-sided column with a rectangular top. A rope shaped frame surrounds the top part of the shaft giving it greater volume. Here stands an octagonal decorated cage with a topping sitting on a central column and eight twisted, corrugated columns, with Manueline capitals. On the top is a cone-shaped hat. It was classified as a National Monument in July 1922.